Sunday, August 20, 2006

Review: Pen & Paper - Computer Style

ATENTION!!!
Before I launch into this, a word of warning. hehe I love tech gadgets, and this post is an extended review of such an item. If you have no interest in this area, then I doubt that this post would have anything you'd want to read! Of course, you're still welcome to read it, but if at the end, you find yourself shaking your head wondering what that was all about, don't say I didn't warn you! :)



Setting the Scene...

Those of you who’ve seen me working know that I don’t go very far without my trusty notebook computer. I’ve had my Toshiba Satellite M30 since December 2003, so it’s been a faithful servant for almost 3 years. Back when I first got it, the computer was on the bleeding edge of technological advancement – large 15.4” widescreen, 1.6GHz Centrino CPU with built in wireless, DVD burner to name just a few of the features.

Over that time, I’ve upgraded several components on it:

  • Upgraded RAM from 512MB to 1GB
  • Swapped out the 60GB 4200RPM hard disk for a faster (but same capacity) 60GB 7200RPM hard disk.
  • Installed a new wireless mini-PCI card to connect to G standard wireless access points.


The Search

But since the start of this year, I’d been thinking about selling this unit and getting a new one. Not that it was too slow. Even though it was almost 3 years old, it could still hold its own against most average notebooks.

I almost did buy a new notebook (a Sony VAIO FE28) about 2 months ago, but didn’t go ahead with the purchase when I heard that the new Core Duo CPUs were going to be replaced in the not-too-distant future by and even newer Core 2 Duo chip (such imaginative names…).

So I decided to hold up on buying a brand new computer until the new models with the new chips started appearing on the market.

My thinking was this: If the new CPUs were not that much more expensive and provided much better performance, I’d plonk my money down and get me one of them. But, if they were overpriced and underperformed, then I’d still be able to get the one of the older units for significantly cheaper than they are now. I couldn’t lose! :)

But I still wanted to swap over my computer, simply for the sake of using something different for a while.

Fast forward to a month ago, and I was given the opportunity to pick up a Toshiba Portege m200 Tablet PC along with an external DVD burner for significantly less than its market value. This unit was newer, was still under warranty, and had better specs.

How could I resist?

I couldn’t. So I listed my old computer on eBay and sold it for a couple of hundred more than I was paying for the Tablet PC.

And so that’s how I ended up with an almost-new (8 months old) Toshiba Portege m200 Tablet PC.


First Impressions...

Here are the specs for the unit I got:

  • 1.7GHz Centrino CPU
  • A/B/G wireless network card
  • 80GB 5400RPM Hard Disk
  • 1GB RAM
  • 32MB GeForce FX 5200 GPU
  • 12.1” 1400x1050 screen
  • LaCie Slimline external dual layer DVD+/-RW/CD-RW drive


Appearances Can Be Deceptive

Let me start by explaining exactly what kind of computer this is. To put it simply, it’s a computer where you can draw on the screen with a pen.


When you first open the notebook computer, it looks like any normal laptop – keyboard and screen in the usual places. However, all is not as it seems. The screen is on a special hinge that first allows the screen to be rotated 180 degrees so that it can be folded back down onto the keyboard, with the screen facing up. In this mode, it is like a pad that you can write on with the built in pen.


Tablet PCs have been around for about 3 years now, but have been way too expensive to even be a consideration for me. However, I’ve always secretly wanted one because of the added functionality of the pen.


Working Together...

This pen function is not simply a gimmick. Sure, you can get gasps of astonishment when people see you drawing on your computer screen with a pen.

But the part that really drew me was the ability to take handwritten notes on your computer that were not only stored as a file so you wouldn’t lose it. And get this, what you write, the computer recognises and files away SO THAT YOU CAN SEARCH THROUGH YOUR NOTES BY KEYWORDS!

Here's a picture of one of my recent notes. I've searched for the word "FIRE" and it's found it.


Something else that I’ve discovered is that I can use the pen to jot down notes on a Powerpoint slide while I’m preaching or teaching. Sure, you can do this with a mouse, because anyone can ink on a Powerpoint slide. But have you tried writing or drawing with a mouse?


Firm Input

And its performance as a simple notebook computer is not too shabby either! The keyboard is a joy to type on – nice and firm with just the right amount of bounce. Some of you may be asking why on earth I’m talking about the keyboard, because a keyboard is a keyboard…

Well, let me tell you. All keyboards were not created equal!

I really liked my previous computer, but the keyboard was just too mushy. It’d sag and creak and would a be a pain to use. Not so this unit!


Seen But Never Heard!

One part of this computer that is absolutely hopeless are the built-in speakers. Sure, they’re fine windows beeps and alerts. But playing music through them is pure torture – both to the music and to the ears of the listener! This computer is definitely headphones only if you want to listen to music at all!


It's a Keeper!

Overall though, I’m really happy I got this unit. I’ve used this computer while preaching once, and had a go at adding notes with the pen onto the slide while preaching. It worked a treat! :)

I’m getting to the point where after nearly a month with it, I think this Toshiba Portege m200 Tablet PC will definitely be a keeper, even after I get a new notebook, whenever that might be.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow
thats a pretty good review of the computer!
maybe i should try and get a tablet pc next time
cuz i disagree with graham
writing is way better than typing, well when you have limited time and stuff
its way faster and less annoying.
but i reckon the best part of it all, is that u made a profit from it all
hahaha
props dude!

Anonymous said...

half life?? ahahaha you play half life?? hehehehe steve!
ahahahaha you know its strange...im really not interested in 'computers' aslong as internet works, mine sweeper works, msn is installed and im a happy chappy person...but your post ahahahah i read it all...and wow...amazing..
writing on the screen!!!! woo aoooww! im impressed!

Steve said...

Graham: I don't think in all the years I've known you, I've ever seen you writing! Seen you type plenty of times, and boy, are you a fast typer! :P

LOL

You recognised the screenshot, eh? Well, to be honest, they were pics of the m200 I pinched from the net, because I don't have a digicam! hehe

Juno: Yeah, that I made money out of this swap was an added bonus! hehe

Heinz: That was sharp mate! I was wondering if anyone would notice that! hehe

And yes, JAMA Jr replacement is well underway...stay tuned to get updates. :)

Sunhwa: I do play the ocassional game, but no, not half-life! hehe

BTW, how did the trials go? All well I hope! :)

Anonymous said...

ah! the pen thing! hahaha. something similar comes out in the krn drama "달콤한 스파이".. its an old series.. but that pen just reminded me of it~ =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Moksanim!~ =)
wooooowwww technology is upgrading wayyyyy too quickly!~
i dont even know how to use my own computer right now =P

Anonymous said...

Hello Steve,

Long time no see~ It's really great to see you blogging again. ^^

As you are probably aware I'm a tech gadget fan myself hehe. I always thought Tablet PC's as gimmicky but after reading your post my opinion definitely has changed!

Anyways God bless you and see you later~

Ho-Young

Steve said...

Jenny: Good to hear from you! How are things? All is well, I hope. Anyways, keep in touch :)

Juri: It was great seeing you today! Good to see everything is going well, and I loved the singing! hehe

Ho-Young: Hey! Hope you had a great birthday! Sorry I couldn't make it...I really wanted to!

Yeah, the Tablet PC - for people who are in a teaching role and have to do presentations often like me, it's a great tool. But for the normal computer user, the pen feature is more a gimmick than anything. But, I'm enjoying it heaps!

Anonymous said...

steve! hehe
that's one crazy gadget.
i would love to have one of those
pen things for drawing. oooh!
hehehe once again.... maybe in the
future after i get... paid....
a lot. hahaha
God bless you steve! miss you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I want one!! ..
i love gadgets... I recently bought a 2G USB in korea!.. so handy!
There is a JAMA on this year??
Hope everything is well. ^^

Steve said...

Sonia: hehe! Seems like I called you around the time you were visiting my blog! Anyways, looking forward to seeing you two next week! :)

Sascha: @GB USB...nice nice!!
And yes! JAMA Jr is on...January 22-25...
and it is now called....

OMEGA

Operation to Mobilise and Equip the Generations in Australia :)