As I got there, I wondered if the new Chris Tomlin CD was out, so made my way to the Music Section.
And Yes! It was in.
So I bought my copy of Chris Tomlin's See the Morning and put it on in my car while I went for a drive.

My impression?
To be honest, after all the hype this CD had got in CCM circles, I thought it was a bit of a downer. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with the songs. They're all the usual Chris Tomlin fare.
But I'm one of those people who really want at least one song on a CD to just leap out, grab your attention and take you on a whirlwind spiritual tour! Sort of like "How Great Is Our God" in Arriving, Tomlin's previous CD. But there was nothing making such an impact on this CD.
One that almost did it was track 4, "Everlasting God". But the instrumental was way too similar to a song called "Gypsy Fair" by an Irish band from the late 80s called Hothouse Flowers.
So, all in all, this CD is one of those that's probably going to grow on me as I learn to really appreciate the songs. But there wasn't much right from the initial hearing.
Is this too harsh?
Possibly.
But those who know my know I'm pretty picky with my music. 10 years of violin has given me a fussy ear that's hard to please! :P
But as I said, it's filled with the usual Tomlin-esque stuff. Just nothing that marks it out as a momentous CD release.


No comments:
Post a Comment